Ordinary vacuuming should be done often and this will help lengthen the time in between cleanings. It is important to keep a close eye on your carpets’ overall quality. Keep in mind, that carpet is designed to hide soil. So if your carpets are looking dark or dirty, call a carpet cleaning company that you trust. Your best bet is to not let your carpets get to this point. When cleaned and maintained correctly, carpet life is drastically extended and you can keep it looking its best for years to come.
Removal of spots, spills and stains should be a part of your carpet cleaning. Some of this advice can be also applied in commercial carpet cleaning, fabric panels cleaning and commercial upholstery cleaning programs.
Carpets and rugs can be a challenge to clean and remove stains. Professional carpet cleaning services can be expensive and difficult to work in to your schedule. Renting a carpet cleaning machine is a bit more economical, but you also have to purchase the shampoo to put in them. You can make your own carpet cleaner, however, one that can be used in most rented machines, in your own carpet cleaning machine or with just a bucket and a sponge. You can clean the whole carpet, high traffic areas or just remove spots or stains.
Here’s what you need to know about do-it- yourself extraction cleaning:
Remove the furniture from the carpeted area. If the furniture is too
heavy, place a plastic film under and around the legs of the furniture.
· Vacuum thoroughly. This can have the biggest impact on the whole process!
· Follow the instructions on the machine carefully. Do not add other chemicals or under-dilute in an attempt to make your cleaner stronger.
· Only use a cleaning solution that works with your extractor.
· Begin at the farthest point from the doorway and work back toward it so you can step out when done. Do not clean yourself into a corner!
· Be patient and do not over-wet the carpet. Extract as much of the water as possible. Do not rush this step.
· Wait until the carpet dries before replacing the furniture or walking on carpet. This step can take 6-12 hours.
· Ventilate the area. Open windows if outdoor weather conditions permit, or put the air conditioning on a moderate setting (72 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit). Never close up a room with a wet carpet. You want the fastest drying-time possible, to prevent mold growth and to allow earlier use.
If you have light-color carpets and/or a house full of kids or pets, you might want to buy your own professional-style model designed for home use. Home cleaners can save you money over the long haul when compared with hiring a pro several times a year. Keep in mind, though, that the unit you buy may not have the cleaning power that professional models do.
Most home carpet cleaning systems are water-extraction units that are also known as steam cleaners. They work by injecting a solution into the carpet pile, then pulling the dirty solution back into the machine. To avoid the hassle of dragging a hose around the house, opt for a model that does not require a clean-water hookup. Also, choose the most powerful machine you can afford to ease the burden of water extraction. When using a steam cleaner, do not get the carpets overly wet. Overwetting can damage the carpet backing and underlayment, causing shrinkage, discoloration, and odor.
When you hire a professional carpet cleaning service, you’ll get to choose between steam cleaning and dry extraction cleaning. Each method, if handled by a qualified pro, will do wonders for dirty carpets. Not only do professionals have far more powerful equipment than you’re likely to buy or rent, they have far more experience removing stains. Prices may vary widely for essentially the same service, so shop carefully.